Children, young adults and students

Whether you’re a young person with Crohn’s or Colitis or someone wanting to support them, we're here to help.

We have information for:

You can also find a list of useful resources from other organisations.

Children and young adults

Crohn's and Colitis can affect people of any age. Find out about these conditions, including how others live with them and the challenges they face.

Families, carers and educators

Whether you’re a parent, carer, or someone working in a school or University, we have a number of resources to help you support someone with Crohn’s or Colitis.


Find out how you can make the most of your time as a student, access extra support, and continue to look after your health and mental well-being.

Resources from other organisations

For young people (CICRA) - CIRCA produce information and support for children and young people with Crohn’s and Colitis and their families.

Disability Rights UK - Find factsheets and guides on further and higher education, including what counts as a disability (some students with Crohn's or Colitis may be considered disabled under the Equality Act 2010) and adjustments and additional funding for disabled students. You can also get information from their Disabled Students Helpline (11am-1pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays) - call 0330 995 0414 or email

For primary and schools (CICRA) - CICRA produce a guide for primary schools, a guide for secondary schools and a quick guide for teachers with information on how the conditions may affect young people at school and how schools can fulfill their responsibilities to support children with Crohn's and Colitis.

Schools information for parents/carers of disabled children (Contact) - Contact is a charity providing support for families with disabled children. They provide information about education and school life, including attendance, absence, medical needs and transport.

Information on starting and going to school (ERIC) - ERIC is the national charity dedicated to improving children’s bowel and bladder health. Find out about managing continence challenges at school and college.

Support for children with special educational needs (IPSEA) - The Independent Provider of Special Education Advice have general advice about supporting children with special educational needs or disability. They offer free and independent information, advice and support to help get the right education for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Information on benefits, grants and financial support (Turn2us) - Turn2us are a national charity that help people access welfare benefits, charitable grants, and support services, including financial help for students.

All information about Crohn's and Colitis

Visit all our information to find out more about Crohn's and Colitis, including symptoms, treatments and practical tips for living with Crohn's and Colitis.

{{numResults}} items
Sort by:



Helpline service


We know it can be difficult to live with, or support someone living with these conditions. But you’re not alone. We provide up-to-date, evidence-based information and can support you to live well with Crohn’s or Colitis.

Our helpline team can help by:

  • Providing information about Crohn’s and Colitis.

  • Listening and talking through your situation.

  • Helping you to find support from others in the Crohn’s and Colitis community.

  • Signposting you to specialist organisations.

Please be aware we’re not medically or legally trained. We cannot provide detailed financial or benefits advice or specialist emotional support.

Please contact us via telephone, email or LiveChat - 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday (except English bank holidays).

Live chat

If you need specific medical advice about your condition, your GP or IBD team will be best placed to help.

Would you like to save the changes made to this page?